Wednesday, May 14, 2008

You're Not The Only One That Hates To See Me Go

In August it's going to be weird not saying goodbye to my friends and family and packing up my Sable and taking that dreaded drive to Mankato. In August it's going to be weird not leaving my hotel job as the PBX operator early to come to Mankato and be broke for about a month. In August it's going to be weird not being in school--not coming to play my life here in Mankato with the friends and faculty in MSU's English department. (Tear, tear).

Last night, I said goodbye to a friend and it really hit me that things are changing and that I will have to leave myself in a couple of weeks. And after some minutes of weeping, I realized that even though my time is up here in Mankato (and that I can no longer live the fab life as a student), this chapter of my life is complete. What I'm about to say next may come as a shock to some, but I can be very sentimental about major changes like moving. It's funny because I had the same reaction when it was time to move to Mankato three years ago. I guess the program and the friends I've gained here can be to blame for my melancholy because you all have made this experience better than I could have ever expected. (Smile, smile).

With that off my chest, I'm ready to start the next chapter of my life. And to the surprise of a particular faculty member at MSU, this next chapter of Toni Kay will involve the writing of a novel. Yes, you read right! This person knows that I've resisted this idea for about a year, but now I will wholeheartedly admit that this format has been calling my name for some time. So yes, I am excited about the writing I will do, the jobs will work, and the next group of people I will meet. I've come from the big city to no city at all, but it's been fun and I owe it to my friends and advisors. (Live, laugh, and love).

Listening to: LIGHTS--February Air (I love this song)

2 comments:

Diana said...

Hello my darling Toni Kay Cole! I, for one, cannot wait to read your NOVEL!!!!

Slee said...

*sigh* I miss you already! Mankato minus Nettie is going to be weird.