Monday, July 7, 2008

Something New, Something Not Borrowed or Blue

Thanks to Dick Terrill (The Terrill, as I always referred to him) I have an internship at Another Chicago Magazine!

A couple of weeks ago, I sent around an e-mail with my new google address to MSU's English department, and Dick e-mail me back asking how things were going and I told him about applying to Purdue University for an academic advising position (which I didn't get bytheway), and he responded saying that he has a good friend who teaches in their MFA program, and I e-mailed him back asking if he could tell her about me because I would like to keep in touch with some local writers, and not only did he tell Sandi Wisenberg about me wanting to possibly meeting her, he also told her that I would be interested in interning at her husband's (Barry Silenski's) Another Chicago Magazine. So one thing lead to another and Wisenberg sent Dick an e-mail telling me to contact a specific person from the magazine, but after a week went by and I didn't hear anything from this contact I took matters into my own hands and e-mailed Wisenberg about twenty minutes ago and she just responded--hence this post.

So even though the internship is unpaid, so even though I will only be sorting submissions for now I'm still excited and optimistic that this will be my chance to gain some publishing experience (any way I can). And since I've been the bearer of crappy news for a while now it's time to shed some good news on this blog, and give readers something new to ingest.

Listening to: 'My Same' by Adele (Lesley introduced me to this artist and she is fantastic!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So does this mean your friends can send things to ACM and you'll give them a good word?

Just kidding. Congratulations, and your good fortune makes me a little less scared to graduate.

Unknown said...

Omg. Thats amazing. I am so excited for you. I guess this means we are off to Beggars to celebrate, do I hear a hell yeah!

Slee said...

Heyness!! How very cool! I'm excited about your new venture and also that my name is spelled correctly. Thanks for the text reminder, I'm polishing away...

Luke said...

Hooray for Toni Kay!

That's really awesome! I knew that you would get something, it's just a matter of time. ACM is a pretty righteous magazine, too.

Just remember, if you happen upon anything from people that may or may not have gone to graduate school with you (you just can't recall in front of the senior editor) you know what to do. :)

Good work and good luck!